Friday, April 23, 2010

Generation M: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year Olds

“Generation M: Media in the Lives of 8-18 Year Olds” is a study published in 2005 by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a non-profit organization that focuses on health care issues/policy in the United States. The study focuses on the role of media and technology in the lives of 8-18 year olds during the time when it was conducted, and how that role has changed from earlier years. Specifically, it concentrates on the amount of media usage of young people, including time spent watching TV, playing video games, and using a computer. The study also collected data on such factors as how many televisions were in the household, how (and if) media usage was limited, if the young person had their own television/video game system, etc. Some facts and figures: 68% of kids surveyed had their own televisions, 31% had their own computer, and less than half said their family has rules concerning TV watching/video game playing/listening to music. On average, kids spent nearly 6.5 hours a day engaging in the use of media, over four hours of which was spent in front of the television.

The main purpose of the study is to highlight the importance of media in today’s youth: “Without question, this generation truly is the media generation, devoting more than a quarter of each day to media…anything that takes up this much space in young people’s lives deserves our full attention.” Past this however, the paper refrains from making judgments or calling for a certain action. The main focus is simply to study the media usage patterns of young people and report them to the academic world, as well as the public at large, for the purpose of further study and action on the part of others in response to this data. From the website of the Kaiser Family Foundation, We serve as a non-partisan source of facts, information, and analysis for policymakers, the media, the health care community, and the public.” Overall, what the Kaiser Family Foundation has at stake in the presentation of these findings is the building and maintenance of their image as a reliable source of relevant information.

Inquiry

Based upon the data being presented, I would certainly agree with the claim made by the Kaiser Family Foundation that media plays a central role in the lives of our youth. Even before reading the data in the paper, it was clear to me how prevalent media is in our society, especially with young people. I myself engage in the use of media quite heavily, especially as a college student. My computer is essential to a successful experience here as an undergraduate student, and that is something that won’t change as my college career progresses. All of the information, assignments, essays, etc. that I need to do well in all of my classes are stored in this one machine, which I use even now as I respond to this study. I would also agree with the claim that the role of media in the lives of young people is a very important one, and that with these figures in mind, steps should be taken to make sure that media usage is regulated in such as way as to be as beneficial as possible for people growing up. There is a line between the abuse of technology and the various forms of entertainment and communication available, and the use of it in such a way as to enrich one’s life.

Discussion Questions

1. How important of a role would you say media plays in your life?

2. Do you believe that media, in general, is too prevalent in our society/culture, especially for young people (ages 8-18)?

3. What steps should be taken to increase the benefits that media has in kids’ lives/what steps should be taken to reduce any harmful effects that media may have on kids?

5 comments:

  1. The statistics and arguments introduced by the Kaiser Family Foundation could relate to an interesting point brought up during the carousel discussion. It was mentioned that nostalgia could be a possible source for the older generation's resentment of technology in the new generation. The 'good ol' days' -when children would play with the neighbor kids in the street and be home in time for family dinner- are over. It could be supposed that media is too prevalent in young people because it is assumed that they are using media for pure entertainment purposes. Although it is nearly impossible to eliminate new media use in the workplace and at school, this should be explored for young people. Ideally if kids could use some of the time that's spent in front of the TV or computer game and use it for physical activity. This could directly relate to the alarming rates of childhood obesity. The use of new media by children needs to be limited; the problem is coming up with the solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New media is vital in my life. I would consider myself to be dependent upon and addicted to new media. For example, this morning when I woke up I had to complete an online timed quiz and my internet in my apartment was not working. I almost had a mental break down. I did not know what to do without immediate access to the internet. New media is a vital tool in my success in college and I would say that I spend at least six and a half hours on some form of new media every day, just as Kaiser Family Foundation’s study found. However, very little of that is watching TV as academics is my focus. I believe new media is essential today in keeping up with the times, but it should be used more for our own personal advancement and learning. Entertainment is important, but we should not use new media primarily for that, just partially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New media is a major part of my life as well. Although I do not use my laptop as much as most people do, it is still a huge part of my life. I would not be able to live without my phone though. I believe that new media is a must for today's society, because everything is based arounnd it. There is no way that anybody could get through college without the use of a computer. I do agree with the Kaiser Family Foundation's claim that kids do not go out and play, when they really should be, but instead they are inside playing video games. There does need to be a stop to this, and I think that it starts with the parents. Kids need to have a limit on the amount of access they have to new media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think new media is far too prevalent in society today. My girlfriends phone and laptop both happened to stop working today, leading to her in tears on her bed saying that she was cursed. Considering she had a group presentation in a few hours and was unable to contact her group I could understand why she was so stressed but the fact such an emotional response can be elicited from a 21 year old makes me fearful when I think of how a more immature individual would react from no longer having access to media devices. The Kaiser data made me reminisce about all the warnings I heard growing up concerning the amount of time children spent in front of the television and the fact my parents always heavily regulated T.V. time. When we moved and I was in the fifth grade we didn’t even get cable for two years, something I thought was one of the cruelest acts my parents could have done to me. Looking back, however, I am so thankful I was brought up in this type of environment because it had a huge positive effect in my literacy and success academically. I read an entire book almost every single day when I was in the sixth grade and if we had had cable that never would have happened. I think parents need to monitor their child’s media content as well as limit their daily access, promoting sports and other outdoor activities as alternative ways to spend the time they’re not allowed to play on the computer or watch T.V.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New media plays a great part in my life nd other's lives because it has to. Society is so high tech these days you cannot get around using new media. Children have to prepare themselves for using new media day to day as a job. Watching television for 6 hours a day isn't necessarily the right way to accomplish this, but using the computer or video games can be. I think some children rely to heavily on new media to entertain them. They become one of those "over weight sit in front of the tv all day" kids. Kids have to balance new media and normal kid things such a going outside to play, sports, or regular games. There is an extenet to which new media should be used as a child and we need to regulate this for the sake of our childrens health and sanity.

    ReplyDelete